Cow Deer

Heifer & Fawn at Appleton Farm

These are not at our farm but rather a bit down the valley from us. Apparently a fawn has bonded with a herd of cows. From what I’ve heard the government has told the farmer he can’t keep a deer and his reply was he isn’t. It is simply there. It wanders freely with the cows, co-grazing, in amongst them for protection. It’s fun to see as we drive by his pastures.

Grazing Pals

Something interesting to note about the tiny cottage‘s temperature stability as shown is the numbers below is that the opening windows on the first floor and the loft window are all open. The cottage absorbs enough energy during the day to stay warm at night and the large mass of the cottage keeps it from over heating during the day despite its having so many big windows. This is something I couldn’t have achived with standard stick built construction.

When we had a greenhouse along the south side of our old farm house the temperature in there would swing wildly despite the several tons of raised beds and water container heat storage. Building the thermal mass right into the structure of the cottage was a much better solution giving more temperature stability, solving the humidity problem of cool glass and allowing us to gain more useful passive energy from the sun.

Outdoors: 73째F/51째F Overcast
Tiny Cottage: 71째F/68째F

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Cow Deer

1. tree ocean says:

Like a Russian Fireplace…

2. heyercapital says:

I chuckle at the hubris of the gummint advice of getting rid of the fawn. Keep in mind it's the state itself that claims all the benefits of ownership of the deer herd, but they want none of the responsibility/liability.

3. Walter, your letter to the wife swap people was fantastic. So many non-farm folk have no idea how much WORK is involved when you are raising food and animals. My brother-in-law used to sit on our porch and say "I sure wish I had the laid back lifestyle you two have " Cute ? Huh?

If that deer gives his cow herd brucellosis, bovine TB or some other diseases, they'll quarantine and cull his cow herd, and perhaps his other mammals on the farm, like dogs, cats and pigs.

5. Ah, Anonymous, yea who is so pitifully fearful that you are afraid to leave your own real name, do you live in a bubble? Let me clue you in: disease is everywhere. Healthy organisms can fight it off. The realit is there are wild deer out in the fields, along with mice, coyotes, ravens, song birds, coon and all manner of other critters who could infect you with numerous horrible diseases or chew your fingers and other bodily appendages off. Go ahead, live in your bubble, your little confinement stall, eating your pabulum and drinking the Kool-Aid.

6. So harsh Walter! Did you wake up on the wrong side of the tiny cottage?

You are right of course!

7. A dose of reality isn't too harsh, especially for an Anonymous Coward. If they truthfully believe things and they want to post I would suggest they be honest enough to give their name, rank and serial number. I am much more gentle with people who are opening honest dialog as opposed to simply taking pot shots from the bushes. Of course, IP addresses are recorded in the logs, standard operating procedure for web servers, and that leads straight back to the writer.

8. Jeez, my neighbor has a deer that lives in his house. Maybe I better cull him..he is kinda ornery, the neigbor, not the deer.

I wasn't worried about all the Deer, Moose, Bear and Coyotes and other crits that enhabit our fields and it doesn't seem to be a problem for Farmers in the area. Of course I also have the theory that our kids would be well served by eating a teaspoon of dirt a day..

9. Jenna says:

There was a article this winter or sometime or so that talked about city and suburban kids losing their immune protection and getting asma because they werent getting enough exposure to the real world. It went on to say that rural kids have better immune systems and farm kids were the healthiest. One more reason to have some animals around the home.

Anywys. Love the photos of the fawn and cow!

10. Ann says:

Oh that is so adorable! As to the fear of disease — it has to be there first to be a problem. Since it isnt normally there no issue there.

11. Walter, your comments were the best and prompted me to address germaphobia on my blog today. Thanks for the inspiration.

Donna OShaughnessy

12. Hope says:

That little deer is not being kept by Bill. The cows are keeping the deer. They are keeping it as their pet.
    Hope Jeffries
    (Hope asked me to type this. -WJ)

13. Brian12566 says:

Reminds me of the semi famous beaver dispute..check it out:

I wonder if the government gets angry at all the insects in the field too?

14. dinkleberries says:

Appreciated your comments to and about 'anon', made me laugh. The disease issues don't scare me, it's the guvmints reaction to any hint of pathogen that is scary and dangerous.

I must agree with Hope, although it does occur to me that the cows may be her pets.

. . .And the article about the damn beaver dam shows just how silly the guvmint can be. . . or at least the folks who 'work' there, lol.

15. Steve says:

Walter, I am looking to purchase a chest freezer that can go out in the much cooler carport for the winter. About two years ago you posted a query at applianceblog.com. You were looking to get a freezer to go outside as well, and were concerned about the hoopla of compressors struggling in very cold conditions. I have heard there are now modern freezers that stand up to sub-freezing temperatures. Do you now know more about this? Can you direct me to informed sites?

16. I ended up getting an "Amana Deepfreeze速 Chest Freezer – 46" – White (AQC1526BEW)" for $415. It is out on our porch. During the cold weather the compressor does not seem to come on. It does warn about cold situations. It has worked fine for us.

I read recently that the Frigidaire chest freezers are designed to be able to be outdoors. Look into those.

17. Steve says:

Thanks for speedy, informative reply. Appreciate your experience feedback and suggestion on where to look further.
    I live not far from you over in Maple Corner. Guess you are enjoying a rainy day, too. My newly hatched hops are just lovin' it!

18. Aye, very rainy indeed. The rain paused just long enough for us to load pigs this morning.