Vox Clamatis En Silvae

Missing Photo of Wrong Tern

There is a lost bird on our farm. It looks just like one of the terns I see on Cape Cod. Perhaps it is a wrong turn. In any case it is now lost in the forest, screaming. This bird screams a lot. And loudly. On the beach they’re kind of cute, darting along the waves, swooping, strutting. They’re loud there too but there are many of them and you kind of tune them out. Up on the mountain this bird is very out of place. I’ve never seen or heard one of them here before. Maybe its on vacation. Heck, I enjoy visiting the ocean. I just wish it would go back to its job, soon. It is a very noisy neighbor. No silent spring this year. But then, it can’t really compete with the peepers in their seasons.
Sponsoring Ad:

The missing photo is because this bird is too fast. And uncooperative. I’ve been trying to get its photo for weeks. I have lots of pictures of a grey blur on a white or blue sky background.

Hope Dances on Pond Stones

This evening we had a bonfire at the upper pond with our own hot dogs and smores. The trout were jumping, high! I hadn’t seen any rings for a few days and was worried. At one point there was a feeding frenzy as a whole lot of them hit the surface in one area. Very impressive.

Sow Over the Moon Reflected in Pond

As we were finishing up the bonfire we heard piglets being born in the top of the south field north paddock. Five sows look like they’re about to pop. Almost literally.

Woolf at the Door – Kavi waits outside the fire light

If you farm you have to deal with predators. Some of them sneak around slipping regulations and laws in the back door under the auspices of good intentions. If you haven’t picked this up on your radar yet, go read this article about NAIS listening sessions being held by the USDA around the country. More have been scheduled. Opposition is running about 92% against the USDA’s proposed mandatory National Animal Identification System (NAIS). They are also taking written comments. Here are mine. Now is your chance to speak up. We don’t need the government to require us to get permission to garden, raise livestock, farm or go about our lives. If less is more then a little government is way too much.

Outdoors: 68°F/33°F Sunny
Tiny Cottage: 71°F/69°F Bonfire, hot dogs, smores

Tinker, Tailor…

9 Responses to Vox Clamatis En Silvae

1. Good luck on trying to get a good picture.
    I have been stalking a 4 foot or so long bullsnake trying to get a picture and that thing is just to stubborn (and scared) to stay out of its hole. ARGH!
    I am definitely opposed to that bill.
    I pray to God thatit does not pass.

Interesting about the bird. Maybe you could get a recording of it and try your local audobon society for ID.

Same thing up here with the fish. We were skunked for a couple weeks and tonight they were rolling on the surface. Daughter caught two huge bass on her barbie pole (nothing like the shrieks of a delighted child reeling in a whopper) tonight and one small one. We let them all go, although she did want to eat the biggest one! hehe

Tree

3. oshea12566 says:

Walter Jefferies- Good luck taking on the government! I hope that your factual, logical arguments do not go in one ear and out the other. I hope they hear you.

4. Jan says:

Wow that is one very spooky beautiful photo of the wolf! Definite nature poster picture!

5. Damien Cleveland says:

Dear Mr. Jefferies,
    My family has been involved in small scale farming for some time (several dozen laying hens, a few lambs, veggies etc.) while we continue to hold down full time jobs. And I come from a dairy family, so I have some knowledge of larger scale commercial farming as well.

I'm basically wondering how much land is required per head to approach the raising of pork following a business/land use model similar to the one which you employ. Given open but hilly (not prime pasture or mowing) land.

Using this free range method, how much of the food for the animals is purchased/donated (ie. extra bread from bakeries, whey from cheese making operations or commercially available pig feeds/ bought grains) and how much of the feed can come from the land?

I recognize that much of this will vary radically depending upon what deals can be arranged with potential feed suppliers (dairy's), but if you could offer a very general sense of this it would be greatly appreciated.

We are interested into looking more seriously into raising some pigs so this would help.

Damien Cleveland

6. See this article about how much land per pig which will have a lot of answers to what you're asking. As to feed, our pigs get about 90% of their food from pasture/hay, about 7% from dairy and about 3% from other (apples, pumpkins, beets, turnips, bread, etc).

7. karl says:

it seems that everyone is having a spring bonfire. i guess we'll need to have one tonight. nice shot of hope dancing.

8. Evelyn says:

Thanks for being a voice Walter. I put my written comment in last week. Your pastures are turning green! That's my favorite pasture color!

Gorgeous picture of Kavi- our huskies enjoy bonfires as well but I think it has more to do with the dropped marshmallows than any love of fire…
    Sal