Fresh Goose Egg

Fresh Goose Egg

Eggs don’t get much fresher than that one. Holly and I were walking up the driveway behind the geese and I said, “Hmm… I haven’t seen any goose eggs yet this year.” Bingo! A goose squatted and laid that egg right in front of us on the driveway! What a coincidence! Don’t tell me she was saving it up waiting for me to say that! No conspiracy theories…

Interesting, when the egg was freshly out it was very slippery. This explains how those rough surfaced eggs get out. After about ten minutes the shell had dried off and hardened to what you might consider a normal egg texture. The fresh egg was also hot – although it should be no surprise since geese, like chickens, have a high body temperature of about 107°F.

Goose, Duck and Chicken Eggs

For comparison here is the goose egg with a duck egg and a variety of chicken eggs. Each type of bird, in fact virtually every different bird, lays a slightly different color, texture and size. The greenish blue eggs are Americana/Auracana hens.

Outdoors: 58°F/39°F Partially Sunny
Farm House: 48°F/40°F

15 Responses to Fresh Goose Egg

1. tuki says:

I love your blog! Thankyou!!

2. ChristyACB says:

Wow! Those are huge. How would you compare the flavor with a chicken egg? I tried and ostrich egg and it was most untasty, so just wondering what a goose egg tastes like.

3. Michigan Grass Farmer says:

World’s Largest Factory Farm pork company polution linked to swine flu: http://www.grist.org/article/2009-04-25-swine-flu-smithfield/

For those of you following the swine flu story concerned about a possible pandemic, and concerned about NAIS, make sure you tell people that factory farms concentrating animals in small areas spread disease while small family farms with animals on grass in the sunshine allow manure to be spread out in small amounts and utilized by the soil as opposed to having manure lagoons breeding diseases. Allowing NAIS to go through will help factory farms, hurt small grass farmers, and expose millions to risk of death from disease.

Mike Murphy
    Michigan

4. Walter, check out this link for a goose egg custard recipe – I look forward to making it every year…

5. Larbo says:

Ah‌goose eggs are my all-time favorite (or, as my kids would put it, my “flavorite”). The taste of the ones I get is similar to good chicken eggs only richer: the yolk is really orange, not yellow, and the white is so thick it can be hard to get it all out of the shell, not runny.

When I snag one of these, I either eat it right away or hide it in the fridge for later. Writing all this reminds me I’ve got one hidden away now! That’s it! Logging off now to go fix some breakfast!

6. The goose eggs taste like duck eggs to me, a very, very slightly sulphur tinge compared with chicken eggs. I like the whites better than the yokes. All our eggs have very rich yokes since the birds eat greens – even more so in the summer.

We have had a goose for years that lives with our pigs. She lays – in fact for the first year we thought she was a gander as that was what we were told by the person who gave her to us. Imagine our surprise when the gander laid eggs! Thus the name change from gander to goose-goose.

This year we have five geese, more donations from a friend, and have both male and female – we’re pretty sure! – so we hope to have goslings too this summer.

We just got the first goose egg of the year so we’re a bit late but things start late here. Winter has a tenacious grip. There is still snow in the fields but almost gone. Up higher on the mountain there is more snow but it should be gone in a week or two except for the dark spots on the north faces.

7. We’re watching the news of that too, Mike. I find it interesting that they are calling it “Swine Flu” when they also state that the genetics of this new flu are a combo of human, avian and swine and people are catching it from each other, not from pigs which is how swine flu was typically transmitted.

All of the modern high speed, long distance travel is part of the problem. Good biosecurity for your farm, homestead and family are important. We’ll see what happens with this flu. Hopefully it will fizzle like the Avian Influenza scare of a few years ago when I heard a legislator in Montpelier say that it was justifiable to violate people’s freedoms and rights on the potential chance that it might happen. Dangerous thinking.

8. sheila says:

Found an article implying that the initial starting point of the swine flu outbreak may be linked to a giant US owned factory hog farm in Mexico. Link below.

9. While I have extreme distaste for the factory farms I saw a lot of flaws in those articles. Time will tell. Looks like this is not really “Swine” flu, that is just the name that they use because of part of the genetics. It also has human and avian flu in it. With so much hyper fast world travel and large factory farm like cities people are becoming a mixing vessel for new diseases. We have teleconferencing and other solutions that would prevent this, save fuel and reduce pollution. The extreme I find so amusing is when people fly to some distant place for a conference to save the planet. Al Gore is the poster child for this type of irresponsibility.

10. sheila says:

Yeah, and Al Gore has an enormous home too. He thinks it’s OK because he has retrofired it to be green.

And as you state, time will tell. I just hope this outbreak isn’t used as an excuse to regulate small farmers further.

11. Jack says:

Gores like all those celebs — all talk and back fired ass-ction. They contribute more hot air and methane to the problem than anyone. Time to regulate their emissions. I would like to cap and trade him and his ilk. Trade them for some common sense.

12. Jan,

Our ducks are currently sleeping in the hen hoop house for the winter. It is warm, sheltered and has food & water. They get along fine with the hens and roosters.

During the warm months the ducks tend to center themselves down around the lower pond, taking a walk up the driveway (a bit of a problem for the whey delivery truck and occasionally a duck) to visit other ponds and then making a circle out to the pastures to graze before returning in the evening. For such short legged critters they walk a long ways.

There is one drake, a male duck, who often hangs out with the gander. He is the odd man out in the ducks. Other times he is to be found with the duck flock.

We learned, through error, not to have to many males around. Drakes and roosters are particularly bad as they rape the females repeatedly. This is their nature. My nature is to eat them down to a reasonable number. We arrive a compromise. I have also learned that I can train roosters not to crow in a similar manner. They taste delicious.

Cheers,

-Walter

13. lila says:

umm yya…..

14. kking says:

hi my ebden goose has just laid her first egg ever and its fairly small will it get bigger like normal goose eggs

• That egg won’t get any larger but she will likely lay larger eggs in the future. It is very normal for eggs from a young one to be smaller. We especially see this with the chickens. There is even a term for it, “poulet eggs”.