Jade Plant Bloomed

Jade Plant Blooms in Slow Motion

I’ve had Jade Plants (Crassula ovata) almost my entire life. They are perhaps one of the first plants I tended, given to me by my father as a leaf to root. All this time I had no idea that they flowered. Then in January my Jade Plant produced little dark pink buds. Finally, after about a month the first bud opened to reveal a light pink and white star shaped flower with five stamen. In a few days the rest of the buds opened. It’s been over a week and the flowers are still going strong. Something new every day.

Outdoors: 29°F/13°F Snowy all day, 12″ new snow by 8pm and still snowing hard
Farm House: 42°F/37°F
Tiny Cottage: 63°F/58°F Hot Water

8 Responses to Jade Plant Bloomed

1. Michelle K says:

They’re beautiful, aren’t they? My daughter puts our large plant on the porch for the late spring and summer. When she brings it back into the house it starts to bloom. Very unique, and a good specimen for photography.

Glad you’re back to posting.

2. warren says:

That is so cool! I had no idea it bloomed! Thanks for showing that!

3. Nance says:

I just repotted my 8 yr old Jade plant today. I have never seen it bloom. What are your fall/winter conditions? High humidity? Long nights? Cool night temperatures? I have Christmas cactus that bloom and a 35-yr old Snake plant (mother-in-laws tongue) that blooms after sitting outside of a summer . . . but had no inkling about the Jade plant. Beautiful.

4. Nance,
    We’re in Vermont. Fall and winter nights are long and cool with the sun setting around 2 pm. I keep the house plants indoors because from September onward we can get hard frosts. This summer the Jade Plant was outdoors a bit. Summers tend to be in the 70’s F with occasional spikes in to the low 80’s F. Perhaps being outside this summer triggered it.
    -Walter

5. DennisP says:

I’m really jealous! My wife and I have had Jade plants for 30+ years. I don’t recall ever seeing them bloom. But I’ll have to check with her tonight – I wouldn’t want to rely solely on my memory! But the flowers are beautiful.

6. Nance says:

Walter, next fall/winter, I’ll try to give my Jade REALLY short days and VERY cool nights because I want blooms! I do enjoy your writing and am sure glad you are back!

7. Diana says:

It is a beautiful picture. I hope our plant flower bud will survive in our care and will finally flower. We just bought this big jade plant with flowers buds all over it. After killing our last jade plant of 1.5 years of overzealous watering, I am quite anxious over this new plant. Do you have any tips on preserving the buds? How long does it take from budding to flowering?

8. Our Jade is just about to bloom again. It has been inside all summer behind double panes of glass in an area where it got a lot of sunlight most of the day. I do let it get quite dry and water it about once a week, sometimes less.