Stripping Mint

Hope Picking Mint Leaves

We drink a lot of mint tea. It is our staple. As good as lemonade but a heck of a lot less expensive as lemon juice has gotten so costly. In the summer we drink mint tea ice cold. In the winter we drink mint tea hot to warm ourselves, chilly hands wrapped around the mug. A thermos brought out to those working is ever so appreciated.

We pick mint by snipping the plants above the lower set of leaves in August. It grows back bushier and we harvest again in September. The plants are bundled and dried for a few weeks before being stripped. The leaves will go into one gallon glass jars to be stored for the year. About to to three jars last us through until next season.

Above Hope is picking the mint leaves off the steps. The leaves are what we use for making sweet mint tea. The stems impart a bitter flavor none of us like. Stripping the mint is a great task for little ones who want to help but can’t do big people tasks. Each to their ability and the day’s work gets done.

I’ve had commercial mint teas but they never taste as good. Maybe the leaves are older. Maybe they don’t strip out the bitter stems. I’m not sure what it is but I certainly do love our mint tea in the heat of summer and the cold days of winter, spring and fall.

Outdoors: 50°F/26°F Sunny
Farm House: 65°F/53°F

Tinker, Tailor…

10 Responses to Stripping Mint

1. BFW says:

Mint tea is the only way to go. I’m a big fan of spearmint, but should really plant a variety so I can have a medley of mint tea at home.

Plus, if it’s your bent, mint makes great Mojitos.

2. pablo says:

I don’t suppose it gives you a caffeine jolt though, does it?

3. Holly says:

Easier then the bundling and hanging the mint to dry, we also just put the plants loosely into clean paper bags. Then we put the bags into the car for several weeks where it warms up very nicely on sunny days. This works beautifully.
    Holly

4. Kathie says:

Yum! Homegrown mint tea is the best. I like to mix it with some dried raspberry leaves on occasion too.

5. Evelyn says:

Oh yea! Home made herb tea!!
    I have Spearmint, Peppermint & Lemon Balm for tea. Have you made mint sauce to go w/ your lamb? Oooooo.sooooo good! & unreasonably easy to make! Mint is also good for digestion. I make peppermint extract for friends w/ babies. 1 drop in 8 oz of water calms colic. Peppermint tea is great for any stomach upset! And… it tastes so good!

6. Yes, although we call it mint jelly rather than sauce. I’m not sure which variety we have of mint. It was simply what grows wild in our woods margins. We transplanted some to the mystery pond which is up by the kids’ treehouse.

7. No, no caffeine jolt but we do have hot chocolate for that. Unfortunately, cocoa around here. One of those luxury items – I do love chocolate…

8. Patty says:

we are huge mint tea drinkers. Our herb garden has no less than 7 kinds of mint, which makes for a great cup of Meadow tea in summer and hot tea in winter. I don’t dry the mint, just pick it fresh for about 3/4 of the year here in Texas. Good stuff

9. Nanine says:

If you could e-mail me with a few suggestions on just how you made your blog look this excellent, I would be grateful.

• I use an install of WordPress. Best thing is to use WordPress.com if you’re not familiar with the background programming. There are lots of little gadgets and themes for it and you can make your own. The WordPress.org forums have a great deal of info on this.