Giant Marshmallows

Round Bales Ready for Winter

100 Bales of Hay on the Hill,
100 Bales of Hay.
Take one down,
Pass it around,
99 Bales of Hay on the Hill!

Round Bales Ready for Winter

Actually, there’s more than 100 bales by now as another load got delivered since that photo was taken. How many bales do you see?

This is the first part of the winter hay for our livestock. John and Jonathan, the farmers we buy hay from, have one of those great big bale grabbers on their tractor which they brought to place the bales on the south field plateau. It feels very good to have the hay there for the winter.

Outdoors: 52°F/23°F Sunny
Farm House: 56°F/48°F GH1 Wall Forms up

Tinker, Tailor…

9 Responses to Giant Marshmallows

1. Erika says:

We have those around here we call them Dinosaur eggs though. :)
    Erika @Pioneer Homemaker

2. farmwife says:

I SO wish we could get wrapped bales like that. It would simplify my life greatly. Unfortunately, they don’t exist in my neck of the woods. Actually, we have no round bales at all.

I bought yet another tarp today instead :)

3. Rose says:

It does look like giant marshmallows!!

I am used to round bales but not to seeing them packaged up that way? Is it due to the harsh winters?

4. Lisa says:

I always wondered where marshmallows were grown! Now I know!

5. Rose,

The wrap is a bother to deal with and dispose of but it does protect the bales from rain and keeps the air out of them so they don’t rot. These bales have a higher moisture content than dry square baled hay but lower than silage or haylage.

I continue to try to figure out some create idea of what to do with the waste wraps. I’ve got several solutions.

Cheers,

-Walter

6. Evelyn says:

I would so love tho have some giant marshmallows!!
    How thick is the wrap? Could you use them as tarps when they come off the bales?

I’ve always thought of these as giant marshmallows, too! Down here in Virginia we see a few every now and then, but it seems most leave them unwrapped. ~annie

8. The wrap is pretty thin. Like food wrap. Unfortunately it doesn’t make great tarps. :(

9. Brian says:

Just a thought on what to do with the plastic. If you took the time to unwrap it could you use it between the rows of your garden as a weed barrier? we are going to try that with the plastic bags our pelletes come in