Getting Shot

Saturn Doggy Dogg

Today I had my kids shot. I would have done it myself but the nurse said they must do it so we had to wait a few days until they had an opening. We get vaccines for anything we reasonably can that we may be exposed to. Influenza is a biggy. Vaccination is cheap preventative care for us in addition to the fact that we need to protect our herd of pigs who are also susceptible to type A influenzas. If you have the flu do not do chores around the pigs. Best to just not get the flu for all sorts of reasons.

There is the issue that the flu vaccines are prepared ahead of time so they don’t always get exactly which flu will be a problem this year. It is a risk-rewards calculation which affords some protection in addition to healthy living, being outdoors, chicken soup and all that good stuff.

For those worried about the mercury that has been used as a preservative in the past in some vaccines there are mercury free versions of most or perhaps all vaccines.

Something we don’t vaccinate our kids for is chicken pox. It is better to get the disease as a child because that gives more protection than the vaccination which eventually wears off. Adult chicken pox is not something you want to ever get. By the way, our sons have already had but our daughter has not yet so if anyone’s got chicken pox and wants to trade… :)

We don’t vaccinate our herds because there isn’t anything in our area they will likely get and we are so isolated. If that changed I would vaccinate as needed.

Our pack of livestock dogs get vaccinated for rabies because they are the first defense against the disease. They hunt and kill pests and predators that get into our fields. This helps keep rabid animals from getting to us or our herds. Again, a risk-cost-reward calculation: it’s cheaper and very effective to give the rabies vaccination to only the dogs. Just don’t go picking up strange skunks and such.

Oh, the photo at the top is is Saturn, one of our livestock guardian herding dogs who is doing a Snoopy Dog pose. The dogs love high places where they can survey their domain. That dog house was one of the test structures we built to experiment with techniques for building our Tiny Cottage here on Sugar Mountain. Like our cottage the roof is a barrel vault of ferro-cement with an insulating concrete layer and then a hard concrete layer above that. It stays nicely dry inside. The dog house arch way in the front was my first real brick arch, my test before tackling the arches inside for our bedroom and bathroom.

Outdoors: 47°F/33°F Brilliant Blue Sunny Skys
Farm House: 62°F/56°F

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Getting Shot

1. Don’t forget, your daughter could get chicken pox from someone with shingles! So your pool of applicants just expanded dramatically. :)

Interesting about the pigs and flu. As a newbie pig grower I had not thought of that. I pray that if I get the nasty bug, someone else would be good enough to do the chores anyway!
    Curious about trading pox. In your experience with pox traders, have you found that some adults of children with the virus will get it even if they’ve had it as a child?

3. Mellifera says:

Awesome. Getting the flu isn’t a huge deal in and of itself, but starting your own epizootic sure is.

I’m currently trying to figure out what I need to do to get a tetanus booster after delivery (due on Thursday… oof). I’m due for one anyway, and it’s usually combined with whooping cough and diptheria. This is a big deal to me because 1) like tetanus, whooping cough immunity from vaccination also wears off after several years, and it’s not very nice to catch whooping cough and give it to your newborn; and 2) thanks to the no-vaccines craze, living in a college town full of PhD-offspring is now a risk factor for things like whooping cough and measles. You can’t vaccinate babies right away, but it’s nice to be able to get yourself shot up and pass on the antibodies. Of course OBs don’t really handle vaccinations, and neither do pediatricians (for moms), so now we have to find a whole new doctor to pester.

People really pooh-pooh the possibility of actually catching these diseases, but my mom’s a pediatric nurse (Green Bay, WI) and every year her office deals with an outbreak of measles and/or pertussis whose major driving force was non-vaccinated kids. It really happens.

You had me ther for a moment!!!!!!!

I get the flu shots every year. I know some people are afrad of vaccinations and big pharmicutical companies but it is good insuranc as you said. I had a friend get very sick with the flu. fortunately she lived.

5. Hi Walter –
    I just posted about this topic the other day :-)
    I don't get a flu shot and don't recommend them.
    Did you know that most doctors don't get a flu shot either?

Mercury & aluminum are both used as adjuncts in most vaccines.

You might be interested in having a look at this article

6. Granny Miller,

I knew about the mercury, although not about the aluminum. They do make versions of many vaccines without the mercury. As to the doctors, I come from a family with many country doctors (family physicians / general physicians) and all of them get and recommend flu shots. My parents, both doctors, gave free and low cost clinics for decades to help people get the vaccines.

So there you have it, I’ve revealed that I’m the brain washed progeny of the medical establishment. :) Actually, I was planning, for years, to be a doctor to. I did all the pre-med but finally decided that I didn’t like people that much. I have the science skills but it takes a special people person to be a doctor.

Cheers,

-Walter

7. Annie says:

I see a great valu of prevention in getting a flu vac but I do not want it to be mandatory. It should be my choic.

8. I completely agree, Annie. Vaccinations should be voluntary. Choice is dear to my heart.

I had chickenpox a second time while in college. More severe than first time. Quarantined for a week.

10. Evelyn says:

THAT is an extremely cool dog house!
    I don't get flu vacine, but I'm cool w/ others getting it. It's a choice. I get the flu once every 10+ yrs or so. That being the case, it doesn't make sense to take the risk of the vacine. If I got it every year like my father did, it would be different.

My son got Chix-pox twice. When he was 2 yrs old, a mild strain came thru & he got a mild case. One pox on his ear lobe. The next year, a heavy strain came thru & he got a few pox on his stomach. All the other kids were horribly sick w/ that stronger one. We figure he got it so light because of having it the previous year. When I was a kid, my father would take us to visit sick friends. He said it was just the friendly thing to do! Of course, he was exposing us to whatever they had & I have an extremely strong immune system!
    To get chix-pox from someone w/ shingles, it has to be an active case & it's harder to get the virus accidently; take a pin w/ you!
    Mellifera… go to your country healthy dept. Mine gives all that stuff at very low cost!!! Then nurse the baby & pass it thru! :)

11. Mellifera says:

Thanks Evelyn- I will go ahead and check that out.

If you’re worried about thimerosol, don’t get tattoos! That ink don’t stay germ-free on its own. : )

As for aluminum, it’s still there- and now that thimerosol’s been excluded from most formulations some are starting to blame the aluminum for autism instead (despite some MRI studies showing babies that go on to develop autism have different brain blood-flow patterns from birth- so it’s at least partially congenital, at least in some kids). But please note that the amount of aluminum contained in one vaccine shot is equivalent to that in 5 ounces (or about 2 feedings’ worth for a newborn) of baby formula. I think I get bugged by the press concluding that autism is caused by vaccines, because 1) there are so many “kinds” of autism that it seems unlikely that there’s One True Cause, and 2) once we think we know what causes it, we stop looking for other reasons.

A study comparing aluminum exposure levels from vaccines with those experienced on a daily basis by your average deodorant-using lady with razor-burned armpits might also prove provocative. : )

12. pete says:

Not for me or my family. The history of vaccination is too fraught with dangerous vaccinations, cover ups, denials and mess ups. They just aren’t trustworthy.

We’ll recover from the flu and be stronger for it. Flu shots just aren’t worth the risk.

I agree with you Pete… My husband is a Fire Fighter/Paramedic and is exposed to everything, but we still don't get the shots. Better way to build your immune system. My aunt is a nurse and has had a flu shot every year for the last 25 years. She was told that if she does not continue with the annual flu shots she could die if she were to catch a certain flu bug (such as the Hong Kong Flu) Don't start. A little cold for a week is a lot better than trusting that the government &/or drug companies to look out for health & well-being.

14. Steph says:

Unfortunately for your explanation, the flu vaccine is not just for “little colds.” The flu can and DOES kill people each year- I completely agree that the flu vaccine should be optional. I am also a nurse, and the explanation that you gave of your RN aunt doesn’t make sense- just because she has been getting the flu vaccine for many years, does not mean that if she skips a year she will be any more or less susceptible to the current year’s strain of flu- the recommendation for her might be due to her age or profession- seniors (and medical personnel) are always considered “high risk.”

That being said, before I became a nurse, I NEVER got a flu shot. I didn’t need one, and never got the flu. It’s (pretty much) mandatory for my field of work, and I get it every year now. My family will also get it, because I can bring home a lot of “crud” from working with such a large population of sick people- I come in contact with a minimum of 100 per day!

15. Jerry says:

Walter,
    I’m attempting a small ferro project similar to your dog house, I’m building a small wishing well. I’m having some issues. Being unfamiliar with cement, I tend to follow the directions. I made a test batch with 3 parts mason sand and 1 part portland cement, and enough water to make it like cookie dough. I spread it on 2 layers of overlapped 1″ chicken wire. Mostly it just fell through, but even the parts that stuck, I could crumble to dust in my hand the next day. The cement never really hardened. Clearly I must be missing something. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Jerry

16. Jerry,

It sounds like your concrete dried out. Concrete needs to cure moist, it is a chemical reaction, not a drying process. Thus it needs to be kept moist, such as covering with plastic, keeping it out of the sun, etc. It takes about 30 days to cure most of the way.

As to the falling through, you might want to try using lathe instead of chicken wire – either than or a lot more layers of chicken wire. Here is a post about doing the roof of our cottage and one of the photos shows the concrete getting put onto the lath.

Keep playing with the materials. Practice and explore. Don’t give up.

Cheers,