Tipped House

Tipped House in Plainfield, VT

On the way to do a Certified Naturally Grown inspection of a farm in Plainfield Holly spotted this most interesting looking house that appears to have tipped over. After finishing we went back and took a look. What wonderful, creative architecture! This is one of the greatest arguments against zoning and building rules I can think of. Zoning stifles creativity. In a box lot this sort of expression would be banned. How sad. There are several other very interesting houses around.

I picked the town we live in because it has no zoning. I don’t fancy being told what I can and can’t do down to the last nit picking detail. Perhaps simple zoning, especially in built up areas isn’t evil, but unfortunately all to often zoning becomes a club used to beat the creativity out of people so that they will conform and fit in little boxes. It’s a slippery slope.

So on this soon to be Independence day, let’s celebrate creativity and our freedoms.

Outdoors: 71°F/58°F Sunny
Farm House: 78°F/70°F

10 Responses to Tipped House

1. I agree about the zoning. It is for this reason that we have suburbs where people have to drive to get to work, shop, schools, etc. I think zoning should be industrial and everything else. Then, you can have local markets, and churches and thriving neighborhoods, where people don’t have to leave to meet people they know.

2. Jonathan says:

Hmm…

I wonder how space efficient that is. I would think a lot of space is lost on the triangle walls. But hey, if you want to be different, I’m not going to stop you.

It’s so sad in our county, all the builders charge extra just because they have to work with our zoning board. It must be nice having no zoning at all. :)

Jonathan

3. Deb says:

Hooray for building freedom. We just happened to buy land and eventually built in one of the last townships in MN with no zoning, no building permits! Our builder even told us a straight pipe to a wetland beats a mound system any day. We have a composting toilet, but I’m glad we can have that.

4. LJB says:

You? Don’t fancy being told what you can or can’t do? What a surprise! (snortle, snortle)

This tipped house is intriguing! We started designing a house with round areas at each end and a wide, more rectangular space connecting them. That was inspired by a sacred building in a (an?) historical museum in Costa Rica. Somewhere along the way a more traditionally shaped building became our choice.

I love the peaceful anarchists amongst us. Pushing the limits, keeping surprise alive and well in our minds.

5. Tandy says:

I love it! Yea for creative people everywhere who refuse to live in the burban box hidden behind white picket fences!

6. pablo says:

No zoning where Roundrock is either. I can understand zoning regulations for things like electrical and plumbing when safety and even hygiene are concerned, and maybe there is something to be said for finding ways to be creative within zoning requirements, but I think for most people, zoning is merely a way to make everyone alike since most people don’t like difference (or long sentences).

7. Mellifera says:

Interesting note on the zoning. When folks talk about New Urbanism and all the associated stuff like having residential and commercial all mixed in so you can walk, they blame the current suburban pattern on the postwar period.

I picked up a USDA Yearbook from 1968 (reading old books: way better way to learn history than reading new books about old things) and found all sorts of fascinating ideas for better residential areas like… mixing residential and commercial areas so you can walk. “The current unfortunate state of affairs is due to zoning laws enacted in the Victorian period to counteract bad sanitation, etc etc.”

Does it seem like we love to blame everything that’s wrong on the 50s and the “uncool” part of the 60s? (I have an inkling it might have something to do with that being when all the hippies’ parents were in charge.) If anybody who was actually there has input on this one… it makes me curious.

8. Brenda Van Wie says:

Do you know the name of the road this is on? My husband’s uncle Louis Crivellaro used to have a camp near there (he worked as a stone carver) and we are planning a drive to try to find the area the camp was in (in the 70’s) They remember this house and think if they can find this house they can remember how to get to the area the camp was.
    Brenda