Economic Stimulus Package

Flo’s Piglets

I saw this in the new today:

WASHINGTON (AP) – The millions of economic stimulus payments gave a massive jolt to household finanances in May, sending after-tax incomes up by the largest amount in 33 years.
AP News

Was Mr. Bush right? I don’t know but I do know that three families have bought pigs from us with their tax refund checks. Two of the three families bought piglets or growers to raise for meat themselves thus further leveraging their tax fund purchasing power. Vermont is making a push for people to spend their rebate checks locally here in Vermont to further leverage the local economy. Time will tell if that and President Bush’s economic stimulus package has a long term effect and tempers his legacy.

Outdoors: 69°F/53°F Partially overcast, partially sunny
Farm House: 77°F/67°F

9 Responses to Economic Stimulus Package

1. Visitor55 says:

I think that the only thing that will help President Bush’s legacy is his long term departure from office.

With a war in Iraq based on lies and the damage that he has allowed to happen to this country’s economy as well as the decline in respect for this country overseas, it’s time for him to go home to Texas and stay there for a very long time.

He may go down in history as the best President in the history of Iraq, but one of the worst in the history of this country, in my opinion.

2. We made an effort to keep my refund dollars in the US, if not local.
    Our purchases are Bee’s, local, and fruit trees from NY and OR.
    As with the excellent choice of buying local pigs to stimulate the economy, hopefully there will be high returns on investment in the future.
    WBF

3. We made an effort to keep my refund dollars in the US, if not local.
    Our purchases are Bee’s, local, and fruit trees from NY and OR.
    As with the excellent choice of buying local pigs to stimulate the economy, hopefully there will be high returns on our investments in the future.
    WBF

4. deb says:

I wish that we still had our refund dollars. We spent them on a new floor. It was a needed expense.

5. the bfs says:

we will see how well the economic stimulus package helps us later in the year. while we are getting a boost in spending confidence now, what will happen later in the year when the stimulus money is all gone.

i have been blogging about this for the past month and i will continue my year long mission to blog about the economic stimulus package. 600 dollars divided by 365 days is a buck64aday.

i am the help the goverment never though they would get. I am spendning my stimulus a buck64aday.

read my story

6. Sage WhiteOwl says:

I live in a small town in Oregon. Most of the refunds went locally to either “fix” up the homesteads, land etc. Most of us live a very simplistic life and love it.
    I found your blog and have enjoyed it very much and will continue to read it. Thank you for your time in letting us to visit your part of the world.
    From Oregon on the Siuslaw River…
    Sage

7. PV says:

Count me in! I bought some of your pork too at the coop using my ”stimulaus package”. Delicious!

8. Patti says:

I plan on spending mine on putting a new utillity room on the house. That will increase the sq footage of the house and add much needed storage. Houses built before 1920 have very little storage. I think buying meat “on the hoof” is a very good way to spend it too. Much more value in the price per pound. I would have spent mine that way but we have already filled our freezers with local grown beef and pork. I know the government hoped we’d all go out and buy new TVs or cars but it’s much wiser to invest it in our homes and homesteads. There is nothing like fresh “homegrown” meat!!!!!

9. Michael says:

I think you’re right that the stimulus checks might help if people are spending that money wisely, and within the local economy (we’ll probably just save our check). But that would be IN SPITE of the government’s wish that we spend it on, as Patti wrote, TVs, cars, and other stuff that in whole or in part is manufactured elsewhere.

In other words, I’ll give credit to the *success* of the stimulus checks to the people who spend them on things like local pastured pigs, not to the government.