Vermont Whale Tales

Whales Tails

We often see wildlife while making our weekly deliveries of fresh pork to restaurants and stores. This week I caught a photo of two Vermont whales diving in a pasture by the road. This is along I-89 up near Burlington, Vermont. Yes, it is a real photo.

Outdoors: 61°F/51°F Some sun, mostly overcast, a little rain
Farm House: 69°F/66°F

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Vermont Whale Tales

We’ve been by the whales every summer headed to Addison Cty Fair to show draft horses (from central Maine). They are my 9 year old son’s landmark since he was old enough to recognize and remember them that yes, we are really finally in VT and yes, we will get to the fairgrounds before dark. Thanks for the early reminder! Sal

2. Keri says:

Nice try, Walter. This may work for out-of-state people but not for Vermonters like me. ;) But yes, the picture is REAL! =D

Ooooo the inland Lake Champlain Valley whales are supposed to be a secret. You are very lucky to have been able to see them never mind getting a rare photo of their elusive dives in the pastures of Vermont. I have seen them a couple of times but never been able to capture a photo to prove their existance to my friends and family down country… and as keri says, yes it is real. This is no loch nessy!

4. deb says:

Very funny. What is it a picture of really? Forgive my NC ignorance.LOL I am guessing that it is some sort of odd sculpture.

5. Ian says:

Hi Walter,

Sorry to be whales off topic, but I’m a big fan of farm blogs, have been frustrated at the time it takes me to find the good ones, and then remember them, so http://www.farmblogs.blogspot.com has been born.

The idea is very simple – it’s a combination of news from world agriculture plus the recommendations of farm bloggers on the farm blogs they like to read.

You were recommened by Bob at Stony Brook Farm and hence you can find yourself linked and written about at http://www.farmblogs.blogspot.com

The idea is that for each farm blogger who is recommended, that they then write to me at info AT ianwalthew.com and give me their top farm blog recommendations. And so it goes….

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,
    Ian

6. deb says:

By the way, I put a small article about your website on my own blog!

7. Deb, that is an honest, undoctored photo of the whale tales. Perhaps I’ll catch more photos of them up in the pastures of the Champlain Valley one of these days while we’re doing deliveries. I’ve seen them before but never been lucky enough in the past to have had my camera in hand. Cheers, -Walter

8. PV says:

Walt you fail to mention what thos whales are made of…….. they are quite close to where I live and I see the wales out in the fields almost daily

Aha! Jim Sardonis, eh. Google comes through again!

Don’t have a farm at all – but love your blog.

Joan

10. Brian says:

Walter, you do know that those tails were origanaly set up in randolph just off I89 exit ramp. I forgot when exactly they moved them or why but they were moved.

11. Very good, Anonymous! Yes, indeed, Jim Sardonis is the sculptor of the Whale Tales diving into the pasture by I-89.

12. Brian, aye matey, I remember when them those that black granite whales migrated from Randolph north to the Burlington area. Many a farmer and cow must have been astonished to see them pass by… :)

13. P says:

Oh I love those whales!

We soujourn Montreal-ways every few months, and those whales are THE best landmark ever. We call them “Earthwhales” and one long, kid-bound trip, we entertained ourselves with stories of the earthwhales’ adventures underground!

Thanks for the picture.

Perri

14. Peter says:

Hey Walter!
    I love those whales – I’ve been driving by them for years…
    and my wife and I drove by them two weeks ago on our honeymoon. If it wasn’t our honeymoon, I would have called to see if I could drop by for another visit. Maybe next time!
    Take care,
    Peter from The Ethicurean

For those who don't think they are whales, they are. I lived in Williston, VT which is right next to Burlington for almost 6 years. I drove by those tails almost every day. The funny thing is that about once a year the UMV college students would paint the tails as a senior prank, funny! I miss that place! Best state I have every been to or lived in.

17. Eric says: