Sock Test

We’re always doing experiments and tests. Holly says I’ve corrupted her into scientific thinking. She says that is a good thing.

This research was, “Are the higher priced, fancy tech, hollow fiber socks better than the cheaper cotton and wool socks?” It was single blind test. That is the subjects didn’t know which was which but the experimenter did. To do the test we each wore one of each type of sock on different feet. Kavi, pictured on the right, chose to be the control subject and wear no socks. He only counts for two feet.

After much sweating and hard work everyone rated their subject sensation of which sock was better. The overwhelming conclusion was… drum roll… there was no noticeable difference!

The fancy dancy socks cost twice as much. Guess I won’t bother wasting money on those! So I bought a bunch more pairs of the cheaper socks. Dry socks, changed twice a day or more, are important when working and playing out in the cold weather. Not only do they make life more pleasant but they can help prevent the dreaded bite of frost. The damp ones hang by the fire or on a string rack to dry.

As an aside, when I was shopping for socks I saw a display with socks all from the same vendor. The cotton ones were made in the USA. The wool ones were made in China. Same color and look. Same company. Same brand name. Same price. Interesting.

By the way, the New England Culinary Institute (NECI) is having a WinterFest open house this Saturday, January 26th from 10 am to 1 pm on the green at Vermont Technical College on the Quad Commons on the Montpelier Campus in Vermont. They’ll be roasting one of our pigs and serving it up with a variety of other local foods from area farms. You may remember that I had mentioned NECI twice before, once in the Wellspring Farm CSA post and the Dining At the Chef’s Table post and the Pastured Pork Poster post. They teach chefs to do the most amazing things with food… Oops… Sorry. Mind the mess… I’m salivating at the thought…

Outdoors: 25°F/2°F Mostly Overcast, 1/4″ Snow
Farm House: 59°F/45°F

9 Responses to Sock Test

1. farmwife says:

I can’t believe Kavi didn’t get himself some nice polar fleece sockies! Mean owners…. :)

The one thing I have learned for winters — WOOL! I have about frozen my toes off in my -30F Sorel boots with cotton socks.

Yum, wish we could make the open house!

2. Patti says:

Damp socks roasting by an open fireeeeee…….ah I can smell it now ;)

3. Haymaker says:

As long as I’m wearing two layers of sock, the cold doesn’t get to me. Great idea about changing socks 2x a day. My laundress is going to LOOOOVE that. :-)

4. Oh, it doesn’t make for any change in the laundry schedule. That’s why we hang the socks by the fire or in the sun to dry and warm. Then they’re wearable again. Eventually the socks become stiff enough and we call them boots. :)

Seriously though, since we don’t go in town to do laundry very frequently we’ll occasionally do some socks by hand in the sink when we run out.

5. quatrefoil says:

Where you’d really notice the difference is between machine-made bought socks of any description and hand-knitted woollen ones. My mother makes these for me and they’re fantastic.

6. karl says:

i buy organic cotton socks. not noticeably better than pesticide ridden cheaper cotton socks. it is one of those areas where we force ourselves to support not using pesticides. anything less than 100% cotton in the foot area is noticeable and would never buy them again. i try to pick my battles and i’m winning this tiny round, but there are many more ahead.

7. We do cotton for the inner sock too and then usually wool for the outer sock. Not hand made though – my mother knits but mostly mittens I think. :) Ben is knitting, perhaps he’ll take up socks. We’ve got sheep… A challenge for him. :)

8. gwen says:

You should definitely get him knitting you all socks. The hand-made wool socks (pure not superwash) are the absolute best things in the world. Of course, that’s just my unbiased hand-knitting wool sock-making opinion.

9. Pete says:

One thing I have learned from years of working outdoors during the winter. Dry hands = Warm hands.

I use the cheap knit gloves under a pair of cheap lather gloves. Whenever a pair is wet, change to a dry pair.

Knit gloves = $12.00 for 12 pair
    Leather gloves = $18.00 for 12 pair

$30.00 and a wood stove to dry yesterday’s gloves = warm hands all winter.

Pete