Goof Ball Grin

Don’t be fooled by that goof ball grin. The photo doesn’t give perspective or a sense of size. That’s Archimedes, our oldest boar, flashing his permanent grin. Perhaps it is like a crocodile’s smile, plastered on his face. Although in his case, he always has been a bit of a doofus. This is the same 1,000 pound ham that likes to blow bubbles in his whey. Everybody stands back and looks on until he’s done.

So what gives him such an amiable look on his face you ask? The secret is his lips are perpetually turned up by his ever growing tusks. Even eating rocks and digging in the dirt hasn’t worn them down beyond what you see. Fortunately, Archimedes is a gentleman and never gives me trouble. Realize that his nose is about the size of a large bagel – that will give you some perspective as to how wide his grin stretches!

Hint: Slowly move your cursor over the photo then slowly move off the photo. It takes a moment to react, up to several seconds the first time, so don’t click yet! The trick requires Javascript so if it’s turned off in your browser you can alternatively click on the photo to see his toothy grin.

Outdoors: 26°F/5°F Mostly Overcast, 1/4″ Snow
Farm House: 52°F/43°F Hay to pigs 2 round bales

20 Responses to Goof Ball Grin

1. Haymaker says:

It took me a month before I got the “Archimedes” reference. Very apropos. Let me just say it would take some very well trained guard dogs between the boar and me before I’d work around those tusks.

2. John Collis says:

Thats not a Goof Ball Grin, he just knows something you don’t! :)

3. karl says:

walter thanks for your considerate response regarding homeschooling. we are entering our first year of potential public schooling. there are no local examples to cite of well adapted socially, inter-generational integrated children. we are blazing new trails here in missouri. the criticism runs rampant. just looking for any and every glimmer of hope.

Hey Walter,

I don’t usually comment on your blog, but I had to warn you that I am unashamedly stealing your line about confinement educational operations vs. naturally free ranged kids! It’s perfect! Don’t worry, you’ll get the credit. :) Love the piggie pics.

Cindy (Leon’s mom)

5. Christy says:

That is one scary grin! I’ve really enjoyed reading about your farm.

6. Christy says:

Karl – I’ve found that if I’m not open to the criticism I don’t hear it. I find that if I am completely confident in my decision, others feel that and keep their opinions to themselves.

7. LJB says:

1000 lbs?! That is heavier than any of our horses except one! Wowee zowee. Love those teeth, but I prefer horses for company. *g*

8. farmwife says:

Glad he’s a well-behaved boy, Walter!
    We’ve certainly had some 4-H hogs that *weren’t*! Sometimes it’s a pleasure to eat them….

I take it you don’t clip teeth on piglets then? Just made me think — do you bother with Iron shots since they are out on the dirt from day one?

9. Quatrefoil says:

I’d always thought that boar tusks were top teeth (canine equivalents) for some reason – now I know better!

10. Cindy, use and enjoy the words! Spread them far and wide. By the way, most probably don’t know but the ‘Leon’ that Cindy refers to is Napoleon, a livestock guardian dog that came from our pack. He now herds and guards for Cindy. You can read about him here back when he was still training at our farm.

11. Uma says:

Woooh that mouth makes me think of an elephant!

12. LJB, Yes, think very short legged horses. Sometimes Ben and Will will ride the pigs – sows at least. They will be quite patient for a back rub and bagels.

Farmwife, we don’t do the iron shots, tail docking, teeth clipping or other interventions. Being on pasture eliminates the need. See this post about piglet interventions.

13. Eric says:

Wow, that’s a big pig.

I thought you might enjoy this farming game:

It’s got pigs – lots of pigs but none as big as Archimedes.

Hope you enjoy it :)

14. Jill Hanson in MA says:

That is just beautiful to see that you dont cut their tusks. Very impressive ones to! Your pigs lead the good life. Keep it up!!

15. He certainly does look pleased with himself. I loved the photo, but the close-up was, well, a bit too close for comfort!

16. Alecto says:

omg, he’s precious! Tasty too, I’m betting.

17. Sorina says:

You have a very nice blog, good post…keep up the good job

18. My son could not stop giggling when he saw the picture. He thought that was so cool and asked if we could get “one of those”.. ummm. no honey.
    Great pictures Walt.

Woweeeeeeeee! Awesome tuskers, Archimedes!Our Georgie, (Kune Kune/Potbelly cross) has a pair just as beautiful. He’s never used them for evil. Walter, I know you enjoy your pigs, and treat them very well. Have you ever come across a pig who was just naturally “mean?”
    I know it is not generally their nature to be so, but I meet a few people, ( mostly ignorant, not so nice people) who insist all pigs are mean and nasty. I have met a lot of pigs, mostly potbellies, but several farm hogs as well, and they have almost all been kind, gentle and peaceful animals. Maybe these people are just mistreating, or could it be they have only met some bad apples? Personally, I have only ever met two pigs who I was afraid of, and one of them was my precious Georgie, who tamed down so nicely in only about a month. Both of these pigs came from unknown backgrounds, so who knows what had been done to them in the past.
    Sherry