Groton, Vermont Long Barn

Pastoral Morning in Groton, VT

Just downhill from the cemetary in Groton, Vermont is a farm with a unique long barn. It’s a collection of sheds that appear to have grown over the years. Out in the field are cattle. Possibly there are sheep in the corral area although I could not quite tell. I caught this photo as the morning mists rose. Click on the image if you dare – it’s a 700KB panorama – count the cows and possible sheep.

The foliage is definitely turning up on the hills. Frost has been predicted but so far we have escaped. The days and nights ahead look warm according to the weather forecast. I would love a long warm fall. Perhaps snow starting December 15th… after we’ve moved into the tiny cottage.

On Tuesday we picked up a ton, literally, of white cement and another ton of bricks. The bricks are from Vermont Brick in Highgate, Vermont. The bricks are actually pavers which are extra strong. I chose them because I liked their rough texture and color. It was nice that they were local rather than having to be shipped from some far off place but honestly, that was chance.

We’ve finished the bottle wall in the bathroom – it looks incredibly beautiful. I’m glad I couldn’t afford glass blocks because I ended up doing something better. Serendipity often works that way.

We also completed the planter on top of the wall. The planter has a granite base and sides sitting up above the bottle wall. It is quite solid. I slipped and fell, testing the edge of the granite planter sides with my face. No teeth were broken although I was not sure at first. Lots of blood – I did get a split lip. It will heal. I’m glad the granite of the planter didn’t break. That would have been harder to fix.

Now that I have the brick and more white cement for mortar I’ll start the arch above the planter, perhaps tomorrow.

Monday-Wednesday Outdoors: 70°F/34°F Mostly Sunny
Farm House: 70°F/59°F
Tiny Cottage: 72°F/65°F Got white cement and brick

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Groton, Vermont Long Barn

1. julia says:

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile, but have yet to comment. But I just had to comment on this one, as I hate that feeling of smashing my face on something.

There’s nothing worse than banging your face into something and then having that desperate moment where you try to sort out what is actually broken.

Glad your teeth were okay!

2. David says:

I count 13 cows, 2 sheep, maybe 1 horse in the back paddock, and 1 basketball goal one has to play over a fence.

3. pigfarmer56 says:

Notice anything odd about your long barn? no way to clean it! saw bo liqid manure pit no gutter cleaner or door big enough to get in with a skid steer. Thought at first it was a veal barn w/ a slaughterhouse in the middle but again no pond. whish I knew you were going to Highgate, would have liked to met you

I read your blog and find it inspiring, so I’d like to give you something back:

MANIFESTO: THE MAD FARMER LIBERATION FRONT

by Wendell Berry

Love the quick profit, the annual raise, vacation with pay.
    Want more of everything made.
    Be afraid to know you neighbors and to die…..

The rest is at:

Eva

5. Henwhisperer says:

You were in Highgate? Oh rats! That is very close to us. It would have been beyond marvelous for you to have stopped by.

Bwakk!

The place was the property of Senator Morse. Senator lived to ripe old age and died at peace with GOD. His family still owns it. The long barns /sheds you see are for chickens, he had a poultry farm there , that’s why the the structures are so low. Dairy barns are bigger–you’ve seen them.

7. Cool, Thanks for the bit of history.

Cheers, -Walter