Glass Wall

A local pub has been graciously donating their wine bottle collection to our tiny cottage construction project. Well, actually, they were over joyed to have us hauling away their empties for the last several months. Another freebie salvage item for our new recycled home.

What I wanted was glass blocks to do some parts of the cottage such as in the bathroom. Glass blocks turned out to be horribly expensive. I saw the stacks of wine bottles and realized, I could use them to make glass block walls. Not only would they be inexpensive but the bottles came in all sorts of beautiful colors from clear to blue to red to green and other parts of the rainbow. Some of the bottles are big, some are small. With a little cutting work we’ll have our glass block wall for the bathroom and attic knee walls at almost no cost.

Outdoors: 73°F/54°F Sunny
Farm House: 72°F/64°F Weaning Piglets
Tiny Cottage: 72°F/67°F Doorway Arch Test

11 Responses to Glass Wall

1. karl says:

that is funny that you are using bottles. i just cemented in about 100 of them in for use as the back wall of my root cellar. at day break i’ll take a photo. i was gonna wait and reveal the finished work but you trumped me.

snafu

2. pablo says:

I can hardly wait to see how this project turns out! This is fascinating.

3. Karl, you’re way ahead of me. So far I’ve only collected empty bottles from the pub and experimented with removing labels. I ordered a bottle cutter this week. We tried cutting them with the diamond skillsaw blade, messy!

I look forward to seeing how your bottle wall came out and what tips and techniques you discovered!

4. karl says:

at pile of o’melays is the photo as promised. i had one of those bottle cutters as a kid. as i was doing this i wished i had it.

5. Karl, are the bottles complete or cut for your wall? -Walter

6. cat says:

That’s a great idea! We are using bottles as insulation in our cob oven. :)

Great way to continue the recycling Walter! Can’t wait to see the pictures.

7. karl says:

no the bottles are not cut. i don’t plan any light entering through that area so it will simply be back filled with a lightweight aggregate (unbroken soda & beer bottles and crushed limestone–to key the bottles). i did toy with the idea of putting a LED christmas light in the end of each and recorking them. that’d be too fancy for a simple root cellar. i might put some sunlight entering bottles on the door side though.

8. Hello,

In creating a similar project, I
    happened upon your site. Just
    wondering if you have completed it, and perhaps had photos to share?

Best of luck to you,
    Karen Manasco

9. Karen, yes, we completed it, along with putting a glass wall in the dog house which is a model of the tiny cottage. See these posts which have photos. Cheers, -Walter

10. Kelsey says:

I know I’m a little late to the party but what a cool idea!

Is there a blogpost with the finished product? I clicked on your link above and it didn’t seem to work for me. But I’d still love to see how it turned out! :)