Kitchenwares for a Week

Kitchenwares1Week
That photo represents approximately how many items we use in one week for cooking in the kitchen and dining. There are a few odd items that either didn’t get used or got forgotten to be included (3 bread pans & muffin pan). It also doesn’t show appliances. We have more stuff than that in the current kitchen but the question was, “How much do we actually use?”

The reason we were thinking about this is that in the tiny cottage there will be less space for storage. Here is a written list sorted by type:

Quantity Types
1 Thermometer Meat
1 Tongs Scissor
1 Waffle iron
3 Water bottle
    1 Whisk Flat
171  items in  84 categories

*Only one shown in photo.
**Not shown in photo.

We do have more kitchen stuff but that is a pretty good representative sample of a week’s worth of usage. Having that list is helpful in designing for a tiny space where every spot and thing must be functional. Our old farm house with its huge country kitchen is big enough to bring in a steer for butchering and stow away hundreds of little things we rarely (or never) use. The tiny kitchen will still be big enough for all our daily cooking, seasonal canning and butchering as long as I do it as halves or quarters at a time. That is quite reasonable as the other portion can still be hanging in the chill while we work on one portion. We do have many hundreds of canning jars – there will be room for those in the back loft storage as well as some in the kitchen.

While they’re not shown in the photo as they weren’t part of this question, just to be complete, here are the appliances in order of power consumption:

1. Refrigerator
  2. Freezer
  3. Stove/Oven
  4. Microwave
  5. Light
  6. Cloths Washer
  7. Toaster
  8. Blender
  9. Mixer

Outdoors: 80°F/60°F Sunny
Farm House: 75°F/69°F

Tinker, Tailor…

12 Responses to Kitchenwares for a Week

Hmmm… Slow news day on the homestead? I can’t believe you layed out all those items for a photo. Keep the photos of your fascinating cottage project coming!

Amos

2. *grin* Actually, that was a whole weeks project. What we did is for one week, if we got something out we put it onto the counter after washing rather than putting it away. When setting the table we first got things from the counter. So think of it as not the work of a slow day but the work of a week! :)

3. Podchef says:

Wow. . .my usual weeks worth of kitchenwares wouldn’t fit on three tables that size. . . .Although, when I go to cook somewhere else and bring everything I can usually condense everything to fit into one or two boxes to fit in the back of the station wagon.

I find using things double duty helps cut down on washing. A frying pan makes a great kettle lid. A sieve works to sift flour and forks are the ever ready whisk.

4. Lisa says:

It would be an even better test if done a week with a celebration in it. There are some things I only bring out for a special occasion that I’d really miss not having.

Great idea, though. We have too much stuff. I designed a small kitchen because I like cozy kitchens, but it is getting overrun with crap.

5. BigRob says:

Walter,
    I’ve been reading your blog off and on for a while. I have found you to be a great source of information regarding raising pigs. I am a future, wannabee smallholder/pig & chicken farmer. Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge with the rest of us.

I have been wondering why you are building the “tiny” cottage. I am sure that you have covered this in past postings but it must have been before my time. I’ve been wondering why you would leave a large farm house for such close quarters. If there is something wrong with the farm house why not build a larger cottage to move into? When I first saw a picture of the tiny cottage I thought maybe you were building guest quarters. I’m sure you must have a good reasons–just curious.
    Thanks again.
    BigRob

6. cat says:

i stumbled upon your blog while doing a google search on chicken coops…my latest obsession. i am so happy to have found you guys though! i am looking forward to reading your archives and learning about you and your family. we are very much into gardening and own a flock of chickens, etc.. will be homeschooling our kids too. if we could, we’d be living your life! slowly we are getting there, even in town..hahah you guys are an inspiration!! right on! :)

thanks for being so cool and sharing your discoveries and thoughts with us. i’m sure i’ll learn alot..;)

7. pippi says:

Howdy, almost neighbor!
    I came across your blog via a google search for Vermont Homesteaders.
    Great tiny cottage you have going on there! Our dream is to build a zero impact stone house… ah, one day.

~Just thought I’d drop in and say hello! & I’ll put your blog in my feed reader so I can keep up.
    Best!

8. wyldthang says:

Hi! I have a teeny kitchen too, and not much stuff. I like paring down things. We got rid of a lot of stuff when we moved here(happily!)I much prefer my tiny kitchen. I have a nice big kitchen table if I need more counter space–and the height is better for kneading bread–plus my son carved his name in it when he was five ;0)Cant’ wait to see your finished kitchen!

9. Teri says:

We have an even smaller kitchen (travel trailer). The seldom used appliances stay out in a storage shed. Same with most of our dishes. You might want to consider adding a storage shed, which could also double as a pantry.

10. Ever consider a Summer Kitchen?
    I would love one.

It would be a way to keep all of the canning, butchering and seasonal cooking stuff in one place.

But the best part is this – after hours & hours of canning you can just walk away from the mess until the morning :-)

No more beet & green bean slop at 10:00pm

I don’t like to spend ALL DAY in the kitchen canning, then have to work around the mess to make supper, and then…… spend the evening cleaning up what looks like a disaster area.
    It is the worst part of home canning if you ask me.

11. Granny Miller, a Summer Kitchen is a possibility someday. In effect we have that as we often cook outdoors on bonfires. But that doesn’t take care of the canning mess. :)

BigRob, the Tiny Cottage is the start of a new home that will eventually grow. By starting with just building a small space we tackled something more manageable. Then again, we do spend a great deal of our time outdoors and as Holly puts it, “all of the outdoors is our home”. With the big windows and efficient design it doesn’t feel small inside. We’ll see!

12. Sally says:

Walter! What a great idea for a post! I wonder what our family uses in a week. Theres so much stuff we dont.