Acrylic Brochure Holder

Counter Top Literature Holder

In our journey towards retail pork sales one of the hurdles has been getting commercial liability insurance. It has taken quite a bit of time, months more than I expected, but that is another story. Along the way we have also applied with the state for the wholesale meat license. So, while I’ve been working on these things, or more often waiting on them, I’ve also been working on marketing materials for our pastured pork.

Dan, at Dan & Whit’s General Store, one of the first stores that will carry our pastured pork, had suggested a brochure. The goal is to let people know how we raise the pigs, that we’re local, naturally grown, help with brand recognition, and provide some cooking suggestions, recipes and links to additional information.

Mid-week I realized that if there’s to be a brochure then we should put it into something rather than having it sit flat on the counter. That will make it more visible, more likely to get replenished, less of a mess and take up a minimum of counter space. Thursday I did a web search on acrylic display suppliers and found this one from Azard Displays in New York. Friday they arrived on my doorstep. Wow! I had not expected them so quickly. Holly pointed out that we are within the one day UPS Ground shipping range so it shouldn’t be too surprising they arrived so quickly. I still think it is amazing. Here I am on a mountain in the middle of the woods in the middle of the road in the middle of Vermont and between the internet and shippers I could be anywhere.

The clear plastic acrylic displays are very well made and only cost $1.20 in quantity 50. A business card taped into the front with clear PVC packing take looks great and personalizes the display. The packing tape is invisible. I wrote our farm name and phone number on the back of the display in permanent ink so that when the literature runs out it will be easy for the store to contact us for more brochures.

The business card is very similar to our meat label – the design of the brochure will be similar too. I also plan to transfer elements over to our posters. A unified theme helps with brand recognition.

The tri-fold brochure is in pencil & paper outline at this point.

1. Front panel:
    • Certified Naturally Grown – Logo
    • Our Farm Practices
      • Pasture/Hay/Dairy/Etc
      • Rotational Grazing Betters the Land
      • Sustainability
      • Truly Free Ranging Outdoors, no crating
      • No Antibiotic feeds, No Hormones, All Naturally Raised, Not Fed Slaughter Wastes
      • Humanely Raised
  5. Back inside panel:
    • Cooking Tips
    • Grilling Tips
    • Favorite Recipes
  6. Back center panel:
    • Mailer or Photos

If you have any thoughts on things you would want to see on a brochure for pastured meat in the store let me know. When I have the brochure completed I’ll post a copy here and would love to have feedback then too.

Hopefully by the time the insurance and licensing is done I’ll have this completed as well. Sugar Mountain Farm pastured pork should be in select area stores in mid to late June.

Thursday/Friday/Saturday: (wow, consistency)
Outdoors: 54°F/34°F Overcast, Some Sun, 2″ Rain
Farm House: 67°F/57°F
Tiny Cottage: 63°F/51°F First parging of wainscot in kitchen

Tinker, Tailor…

10 Responses to Acrylic Brochure Holder

1. Karl says:

i’d ask and answer the most important question as early as possible. “why pasture raised pork?” it is better for your health and tastes better. this should be on the cover. the rest of the brochure should also support the main underlying question of “why should the consumer pay extra for this product?” otherwise it sounds great.

2. Mark V. says:

Nice displays and thanks for the source. Im going to need some to.

I look forward to seeing your brochure. I agree with karl — the big question is why should someone buy the pasturued pork? The million dollar question. I know. But how to get that across. Your business card and label do a good job.

3. LJB says:

My vote would be for “keep it simple”. Of course, I’m someone who doesn’t need convincing of ‘why’. Especially even more so emphatically after reading today’s Valley News article about SINports from China. I just made up that word and frankly, like it a lot. I think it’s about as sinful as one can get to prioritize economics over health and safety. But that’s not what I started out to say. We are bombarded with print info and so I suggest designing something that really catches the eye (your great pig logo) and bullets the important stuff clearly. If you want to jam pack a brochure with info, maybe do that on a specific page or two, or maybe just the bottom half of the inside pages. Allow us readers/consumers the pleasant experience of Less Is More. Maybe the very first thing folks should read is the question already mentioned, getting to the core of the issue: “Why buy pasture raised pork?” I’m sure you’ll do well.

4. Walter-
    It all sounds good.

If I didn’t know about pork, I’d like to know if there is a taste difference or a texture difference in pasture raised pork vs. confinement/ corn fed pork.

Also storage time might be good to know.
    Some people don’t know that sausage loses quality in the freezer after 6 months or so.

I can quite a bit of meat and canned pork is one of our favorites.
    Maybe a “how to” for pressure canning meat.

5. Simon says:

Really interesting post…and what a acrylic brochure holder!

• Sofia Harry says:

Hi there,
      This is Sofia from Mitcham, austrilia I read this post and find that’s true it’s really interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

6. Farmerbob1 says:

Walter,

I believe there have been studies done showing a difference in the fat types present in pastured beef as opposed to grain-fed, confined beef. Pasture-fed beef is believed to have fewer of the more harmful fats in it. (I do NOT know how reliable said studies were, but in a way, it makes sense.) If such a study has been done showing the same thing for pork, you might mention it.

• Yes, there have been studies on this, and in fact our pork was used in a study but it hasn’t been published so I can’t link to it. The pasturing results in the animals eating a higher percentage of greens so they have more Omega-3 Fatty Acids in their fats which is the good one, the hearth friendly fat. Grain diets are high in Omega-6 Fatty acids so they produce more of that in the animal’s fat. One researcher who was doing studies on this told me that the outdoor pigs, e.g., pastured, also had more vitamin D in their fat.

• Farmerbob1 says:

I would definitely mention that as a solid reason to buy your product, and reference the study or studies. While there are certainly a great number of people who would argue about whether or not pork is healthy, I don’t think that anyone could argue that pork with a higher concentration of omega-3 is healthier than pork with higher concentrations of less healthy omega-6.

• The tricky part is that to put claims on the label for example we need to heavily document them. There are extensive documents we submit to the FSIS/USDA and state for raising and health claims. The government is being extremely strict about Omega-3 claims so I’ve just not bothered with it. We do have an ongoing long term longitudinal research project for measuring fatty acids but the results are still quite a ways off.