The ice appears solid on the upper pond and the lower pig pond. The picture above I took a little while ago, not today. Lili, who is on the dam, could probably walk on today’s ice although I would not want to try. The pigs keep breaking holes through the ice on their pond so it is not as pretty as the upper pond – but it’s theirs to do as they like. I keep it shallow for that reason. I’m keeping the new upper pond a little low for the winter since the dam is still so new. The last thing I want is a break through and having thousands of tens of gallons of water pour down the mountain.
I took this photo sitting on the beach. Hope, age three, has picked up that there will be a beach soon and is talking about ‘going to the beach’ next spring. I still have a bit of work to do before it is done but she thinks it’s great as is. Eventually the water will curve up the inlet between the two stone walls that step up out of the water. Looking across the pond the water will fall off to the sky over the stone overflow at the far side.
This morning I went up on the scaffolding of the tiny cottage to check the roof. It is ‘rock’ hard at four days of cure. I couldn’t ding it at all. I wouldn’t be amazed in the summer but this is cold weather concrete work – it is amazing how well the accelerant works.
Will and I spent some time cleaning up and talking about how we would do the scaffolding removal and then resetting it for building internal ceilings and floors of the kids’ loft and utility attic. We may have figured out how to use most of the existing internal scaffolding, minus the roof trusses, to give us scaffolding for working the ceilings.
Before starting the inside we’ll finish insulating the outside walls the last bit and insulate the roof. The trick is having a time without wind. Normally we get a lot of wind at our place but it has been an unusually calm fall – a blessing for working up on the roof. This morning was a bit on the breezy side which makes dealing with 16′ long sheets of insulation high up in the air rather tricky… Look, I’m a bird, I’m a plane!
To attach the pink foam board insulation to the outside of the tiny cottage we use toggles that I’ve described before, basically form wire through the concrete wall, as well as spray insulation which acts as an amazing glue. Fifteen years ago I tested this idea with a one foot square piece of foam on the ceiling in our old house in a back room to see if it would hold. It is still there and well tight.
The second thing this does is seal any cracks between blocks. Since we dry stacked and then poured cores there very thin gaps between blocks. This seals those cracks as well as attaching the outer insulation.
That is Holly biting the space invader. To make the foam go between cracks more easily I figured out that the trick was to make the end of the straw narrower. Biting the end of the straw, before you start using the can, does the trick.
No photo of the cottage at the end of the day with the new pink pajamas as my camera batteries ran out after only about 17 photos. It is rather odd – since I got the replacement Fuji E900 camera the batteries seem to last only about 30 to 40 shots or so per set rather than the 300 shots or so I was getting per set of batteries with the camera before. These are exactly the same batteries – I have 12 pairs of 2300 mAh NiMH AA’s. Holly says I should contact Fuji tech support about this but I’ve not had the time. One more dissatisfaction from what had been a good camera.
Outdoors: 30°F/24°F 1/10″ Snow in the morning, Sunny
Farm house: 55°F/52°F no fire
Tiny Cottage: 53°F/45°F