Baked Alaska Flambé

That is a Baked Alaska Flambé after the fire has been put out. For my son Will’s birthday he asked for this instead of a birthday cake. Baked Alaska is very easy to make. It is also very dramatic and delicious. This is one of those recipes that I learned from my mother.

To serve eight people I whipped up a meringue of 11 egg whites – I go light on the sugar for this recipe since there is ice cream and sprinkles to sweeten it. The yokes got saved to make a Hollandaise sauce for the broccoli and baked ham. You can also use extra yokes in the sponge cakes. Place one single serving sponge cake for each person on a cookie tray spaced about 3″ apart. Scoop a dollop of ice cream into each sponge cake. Cover liberally with meringue so the cake and ice cream are well insulated. I make a slight depression in the top to contain some of the flaming liquor Have a 2 year old shower the deserts with colored sprinkles or jimmies. If you don’t have a 2 year old available some adults will work for this process.

Set the oven on broil and put the cookie trays in on the top shelf. The goal is to cook and brown the meringue. The meringue insulates the ice cream so it does not melt. Note that you can make these up ahead of time, put them in the freezer and then when the moment is right, pop them into the oven for the baking. It only takes a couple of minutes for the Baked Alaskas to brown – watch them carefully with the oven door open!

So you want them Flambéed? While they are cooking in the oven, put some rum, brandy or your favorite flavored high alcohol content beverage into a sauce pan and set it warming on a burner on medium. The goal is to warm the alcohol so it is very volatile but not to boil off the flammable alcohol. After you pull the browned deserts out of the oven, put them on china plates, I don’t use plastic for flammability reasons. Turn down the illumination and light the pan of alcohol. While singing “Happy Birthday” pour the flaming alcohol over each person’s Baked Alaska. This is very dramatic and a real party delight. Brownie points if you don’t light the house on fire or injure any of your guests.

Note to abstainers, by the time the flames burn out, if properly done, there is almost no alcohol left on the desert.

Usual disclaimers apply: don’t try this at home, use only under adult supervision, no walking on the grass, void where prohibited, keep favorite body parts inside the moving vehicle, no feeding your hands to the bears.

70°F/65°F Sunny

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Baked Alaska Flambé

1. PV says:

Mmmmm goood!!!!

2. Emily says:

Looks delicious, Walter! Did you make the ice cream yourselves? This will be a good way to use up some of the many eggs we hope to garner from our little flock once they start laying in a few months. God’s blessings to you and your family!

3. We didn’t make the ice cream – it was Briars. One of the joys of layers, be they guineas, chickens or ducks, is it can be feast or famine. In the winter our flocks slow down although the chickens still do lay a fair bit, but come spring and summer all three groups are laying great guns and producing far more eggs than we need. Fortunately they get most of their feed from the pasture much of the year so I’m not putting money out for commercial feed except in the worst of the winter.

Speaking of such, once your hens get going and winter rolls around, the three things that I find make a big difference for the chicken hens are: fresh water (they even like it warm although I don’t generally do that), layer ration (I break down and buy them feed in the winter) and a light on 14 hours a day.

4. debby says:

Last time I tried to make Baked Alaska the ice cream melted before the meringe cooked. What hints do you have to get the correct consistancy? When you freeze ahead, what part con you freeze– ice cream, cake, and meringe?

5. “Last time I tried to make Baked Alaska the ice cream melted before the meringue cooked. What hints do you have to get the correct consistency?”

What temperature did you cook it at and for how long? I do it on broil at a nominal 500째F on the top rack of the oven with the oven door open so I can watch it brown. It only takes a minute or two.

My second though is not enough insulation. Put a thick layer (1/2″?) of meringue all over the ice cream and the cake.

“When you freeze ahead, what part con you freeze– ice cream, cake, and meringue?”

When making it up ahead of time I make up the entire thing and freeze it right away as I complete each tray. The only thing I don’t put on it ahead of time is sprinkles as they bleed in the freezer.

Freezing ahead of time actually might help with the melting problem too.

6. Chapman Cherry says:

Dont you light baked alaska on fire some how??????

7. Yes, indeed. Heat rum, brandy or some other liquor so that the vapors come off. Light the vapors in the pot and pour them over the Baked Alaska. The alcohol burns off leaving the flavor.

8. Amber says:

Looks delicious!

9. cathy says:

Is there a bakeing liquor that you can use?