Bonfires & Smores

The weather has been exceedingly fine, warm and sunny. Amazingly, we have lost almost all of our snow. It is only the end of March and usually we still have a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Down in the valley, on the southern facing slopes, there may be snow free patches by now most years. This year their grass is already greening.

With the minimal snow we got this year, I’m a bit worried that it may be a dry year. We’re located on the eastern slope of the mountain with strong springs so it won’t affect us personally that much, but all of our neighbors had to drill new wells just a few years ago when there were two successive dry years. Hopefully their new wells will carry them through this year if it is dry. The dry weather may limit our traditional bonfire cookouts which we make from sticks and brush as we clean the fields.

Since conditions were perfect, some snow still around and the ground being a bit wet, yesterday was a double bonfire day, one at mid-day and one in the evening. This month’s header photo is looking into the burned down remains of a bonfire from earlier this month when we still had significant snows. A bonfire after sledding is a wonderful thing. Now with the temperatures up in the 40°F range Ben and Will thought maybe it would be too warm for a bonfire. It wasn’t at all, especially once the sun dropped below the ridge.

Each Fourth of July Will and Ben buy extra sparklers down at the general store and save them in a jar for evening cookouts. The photo above shows the sparks from both of their sparklers as well as the fire’s sparks in the night. Behind them is Sugar Mountain.

One of our Australian friends asked what a Smore was. This is a perfect smore. The basic smore is a toasted marshmallow and a slice of chocolate between two graham crackers. However, if you don’t have chocolate bars, innovate and use chocolate chips as we did tonight. When you pull a hot marshmallow off the stick it often leaves the core on the stick to be re-roasted. Fill the hollow shell with chocolate chips and then sandwich it between the graham crackers. Deliciously decedent!

Thursday: 47°F/21°F, Sunny.
Friday: 51°F/27°F, Sunny.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Bonfires & Smores

1. Yum, you’re making me hungry!

2. pablo says:

But of course you would be resourceful with chocolate chips! I miss the evening bonfires of my Scouting days. Perhaps this next weekend. We’re thinking we may do an overnight in the woods. Your family sure seems to have an idyllic life!

3. karl says:

decedent, is that one step past decadent already dead and decaying from the decadence? i think i am one of the the three or four people on the planet that doesn’t like smores–but i’d be willing to try your version.

4. Peter comly says:

We have marshmellow roasting competitions several times a year, with judges and everything. Not to criticize you technique, but our judges discount heavily for cores. Perfect 10 marshmellows have uniformly golden brown skins which encase entirely melted centers. Of course the real difficulty lies in keeping an all molten marshmellow on the stick.

5. Karl,
    Decedent
    1) A dead person.
    2) What happens when you meant ‘decadent’ and you let your spell checker go wild. :)

Fixed! Thanks for catching that!

Peter, Ah, but what you are missing out with cores is that you get a two-fer. First you roast the outside and eat that sans core. Then you roast the inside, the core, and it is almost like having a second marshmellow. See, it isn’t points off, it is frugal! :)

6. ranch101 says:

Fewer calories too, for those of us who must watch what we eat. And besides, I like the toasted outsides better than the gooey middles :)

7. ranch101 says:

8. Emily says:

Hi Walter! Would you do me a favor and check out the pictures I posted on my blog. We found a skull in the woods behind our house and think it is probably that of a pig, and I am hoping you will confirm our findings. Thanks!

9. I’m not sure what it is. If it is a pig it is one with a much longer nose than our pigs. They all have much shorter snouts. A tusk would clarify. I will see if I can find some photos of pig skulls. Kita and the other dogs have chewed up the last of the skulls from the recent slaughter.

10. Patti says:

I do not care for smores either. It may have something to do with roasting marshmellows with alot of small children. One has not lived till they have had marshmellow goo applied to their eyelid or had flaming flying marshmellows headed their way.. of course that does eliminate the need for arobic excersize:):)
    Blessings..Patti..http://www.homesteadblogger.com/gardengate2

11. Leslie says:

The kids have been after me to have a bonfire and I’ve been saying it’s too cold! I don’t like my front being hot and my back freezing. I do think it’s time now, however. One in particular has their heart set on smores. I think we’ll try the choc-chip-in-the-core variety.

12. HomemakerAng says:

isnt it funny that 30 degrees and up is like a heat wave for us!

13. Evelyn says:

Oh Walter….
    Perfect Smore? I think not. You have obviously never had one w/ nuts! Try walnuts in them! Rocky Road Smores Now… that’s a perfect smore!

14. Fred says:

Cool. That brings back memories.