Pig Tickling

Pig tickling, that is what I’m doing here. They are hoping for a treat and got it. Life is good.

16°F/-8°F, 8″ Snow, Sunny, Windy

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Pig Tickling

1. ks says:

Tell me your not wearing shorts? :)

2. PV says:

They are so cute! How many pigs do you have right there at your feet walter?

3. pablo says:

Well, since the pigs aren’t wearing any pants . . .

4. KS, Okay, I am not wearing shorts. :) But seriously, it was a warm afternoon, the wind had died down and as Pablo noted, the piglets are nekid but for the hairs on their chinny-chin-chins (and the rest of their bodies). :)

Later when the winds picked up again I was wearing a full insulated winter work suit – otherwise it would have been frost bite city! It is ears and noses, cheeks and finger tips that suffer the most. It was close as it was – I was not wearing my glasses later as the wind tends to freeze them to my face. Not pleasant.

The other aspect is that the piglet area is down in a hollow by the house which helps to cut the wind.

5. Anna says:

Walter I noticed that some of your pigs have short tails. Is that the breed or do you cut their tails short for some reason?

6. dragonfly183 says:

OMg, there is snow on the ground and your wearing shorts!!!! Are you trying to get sick!!!

7. Anna, we do not cut off the piglet tails. Occasionally they lose their tails. I think what it is is when they are very young, the first few days, they sometimes end up sucking on another piglet’s tail instead of a teat. They have sharp little teeth and this docks the tail. This happened with one litter of piglets last summer – three of them ended up with short tails. They heal up and are fine in a few days.

8. Becky says:

Shorts and a toque–yup, that’s Vermont all right!

I’m a Vermonter too, and I’m really enjoying your blog.

9. CWP says:

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue along with your website in web explorer, might check this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a large part of folks will pass over your magnificent writing because of this problem.

[If you’re having trouble with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer then upgrade to the latest version which fix the bugs you’re seeing. They know about the problem which is why they brought out the fix. Otherwise you’ll crash. Cheers, -WJ]

10. Farmerbob1 says:

Walter, was poking around and looking for content I might not have seen before. The image for this entry is apparently properly referenced by your ‘You may also like’ section, as there was a thumbnail image.

However, the main page seems to have a broken image link.

Also, Chinese characters in the temperature line.

11. Jennifer says:

Do you separate after weening and keep the piglets all together? I noticed some of my breeding gilts biting at the weener pigs when they get closer to farrowing…have separated them. Do you have any issues with older and newly weened piglets not cohabitating well?

• Usually because it gives us time for taming and training. At weaning we do vaccinations as well. The piglets get graded and tracked as either roasters, feeders, select or prime to watch as potential breeders. They’re typically in cohorts of +/-2 weeks. See South Weaner Paddock.

The late gestation sow nearing farrowing needs privacy so she can build a nest and not have existing piglets suckling on her stealing the colostrum. Segregate them.