Leftover Turkey

That carcass represents a lovely Christmas dinner plus five days of delicious left over meals including turkey sandwiches, hot turkey in sauce on rye toast, two meals of turkey omelets made with eggs from our hens and stir fried turkey on rice with gravy and fried left over mashed potatoes. The remaining drippings are now in two jars saved for making gravy and turkey butter for us in other upcoming dishes.

The feast does not end there though for the bones and last bits of meat will join Thanksgiving’s turkey in a big pressure cooker to become soup: turkey, veggie and rice. We’ll can it for quick and easy meals all winter long. Finally, the bones will finally go to our guardian dogs who will delight in crunching them up.

Part of what I love about the holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas is the turkey. I’m not just talking turkey dinner but all the meals that follow from that big birds. I love leftovers and all the things we can easily make with them. Perhaps best of all is the soup that will warm us on cold winter afternoons.

“The idea of Intelligent Design is demeaning to the deity.”

25째F/1째F, 3/4″ Snow, Partly Sunny

Tags:

Sightings:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Leftover Turkey

1. Liz says:

I couldn’t agree more, Walter. There’s just something about a bounty of food like that that just makes me feel so good.

2. Krista says:

I came across your blog via Not So Virtual Homestead.
    I had a chuckle over your very well-put-to-use turkey. Man, he musn’t have known what hit him.

Thought I’d redirect you to a recent post of mine with a turkey poem at the end that is very fitting here…

Enjoy!

3. P.V. says:

Great poam krista! As a single person you sum it up for me. I wish i was as good at putting it all to use as walter. I cooked one once but it was too much food after. :-0 Happy new years Walter!!! P.V.

4. Katie says:

I agree too – there’s nothing much better left over turkey and wild rice soup or turkey pot pie or sandwiches slathered with cranberry sauce or….

5. Urban Agrarian says:

I love turkey broth so much that I went out after Thanksgiving and bought up wings and backs from the turkeys that the store was cutting up and marking down to make even more broth. Now I’m so happy I have lots of turkey broth in my freezer.

cool pics but are they your pets?

7. Anon, I’m not sure what you’re referring too regarding “are they your pets”… What animal are you thinking of?

You shouldn’t give your dogs turkey, or any poultry bones for that matter. The brittle bones they love to crunch up can break into splinters and peirce the stomach or other internal organs. I had a dog die from a turkey bone I didnt realize was in the meat I gave him. They love the flavor, but it could kill them. Your left over idea are great, I will have to try them! Thanks!

9. We’ve been feeding turkey, chicken, duck and guinea bones, both cooked and raw, to our dogs for decades. It has never hurt them. Perhaps there are some breeds that have sensitive digestive systems that can’t handle poultry bones but our dogs are a bit closer to the wild where they naturally eat birds. In fact, our dogs hunt and eat wild birds that come into the pastures. Keeping down the pests is part of their job as livestock guardian herding dogs. See Feeding Big Dogs for more about what they eat.